Photoredox Cross-Coupling Kit:
Ir/Ni Base & Solvent
2 sets of reaction conditions with iridium catalyst Ir(dF-CF3-ppy)2(dtbbpy)PF6, Ni/dtbbpy and 8 bases Cs2CO3, K3PO4, K2HPO4, KOH, Li2CO3, K2CO3, DABCO and DBU, 16 reaction vials total.
This kit requires EvoluChem™ PhotoRedOx Box – HCK 1006-01-016 and EvoluChem™ Light Source 18W-450 nm – HCK 1012-01-002 as well as Syringe, decapper and reaction block included in the EvoluChem Starter Kit (HCK1006-01-001)
The typical protocol is performed at 0.05 mol/l using a solution containing two coupling components. Each sealed reaction vial contains 0.1 µmol of photocatalyst, 0.5 µmol Ni catalyst, 0.5 µmol ligand and 15 µmol of base (for all bases except for DBU conditions, base is added separately and shipped in a separate vial). The Ir/Ni photoredox kit contains 2 sets of vials allowing the screening of two different solvents. Recommended solvents include but are not limited to acetonitrile, dimethylformamide, dimethylacetamide, dimethylsulfoxide. Sparging reaction solvents with nitrogen or argon while transferring reagents is important to achieve highest conversions of product.
Protocol at 100 µl volume reaction condition
- Prepare the required volume of substrate solution at 0.05 mol/L containing both coupling substrates. For example, 900 µl solution for 8 reaction conditions (100 µl extra to compensate potential evaporation).
- Degas substrate solution with subsurface sparging via N2 or Ar line with exit needle for 5 minutes.
Using a clean and dry syringe, add 100 µl of the substrate solution to each reaction vial (excluding DBU for now).
- Add 100 ul of substrate solution to vial containing DBU base vial. Repeat degas of solution.
Add full contents to remaining DBU reaction vial.
- Stir the reaction vials for 5 minutes prior to turning on the light to allow catalysts to fully dissolve (some bases will remain insoluble). The card containing the vials can be placed directly on the opening of the photochemistry device.
- Turn on lamp and stir vials for 18 to 24 hours (or longer if necessary). Be sure to plug in fan to maintain RT.
Upon completion of reaction, remove the vial caps using a decapper.
- Prepare analytical sample for each reaction condition with 5 µl sample diluted into 200 µl in either DMSO or water/acetonitrile 50/50. Alternatively, reaction solvent can be evaporated in vacuo and crude mixture diluted in water/acetonitrile prior to preparation of analytical sample. Analyze resulting analytical samples by LC/MS.